Re: [PROPOSAL] Chapter 15. Users & Groups: mininal UID for normal Users

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:

> > NEW
> >         All normal users will be above the uid of 500.
> > 	All normal groups will be above the gid of 100.

We could be wiser and reserver all the uid beetwen/including 101 and 999
to users.
In fact it is not unusual to have systems with something like 800 users or
so.

If we start from 500 it could be too little.
yes we could go on and use 1001 1002 ... for users

but it is too inelegant, and uid above 1000 could be reserved for NIS.

Luigi Genoni