Re: [PROPOSAL] Chapter 15. Users & Groups: mininal UID for normalUsers

----- Original Message -----
From: V man <venom@cibs9.sns.it>
To: Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de>
Cc: <lsb-spec@lists.linuxbase.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 04:54
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Chapter 15. Users & Groups: mininal UID for
normalUsers

> On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
>

> > > NEW
> > >         All normal users will be above the uid of 500.
> > > All normal groups will be above the gid of 100.
>
> We could be wiser and reserver all the uid beetwen/including 101 and 999
> to users.
> In fact it is not unusual to have systems with something like 800 users or
> so.
>
> If we start from 500 it could be too little.
> yes we could go on and use 1001 1002 ... for users
>
> but it is too inelegant, and uid above 1000 could be reserved for NIS.

We routinely see systems with upwards of 100,000 users.  How
they get there -- NIS, NIS+, LDAP, DCE, AFS, whatever -- varies
widely.  I'm sure that Linux will wind up (eventually) in the same
situation.

Please keep in mind that the purpose of having =reserved= UID/GID
values is for system users/groups.  I've never seen a system with
more than a dozen or so admins and several dozen application or
service specific reserved UID values.

As a thought, someone might want to create a "Linux Reserved
Number Registry" so that vendors can reserve UID/GID values and
have some assurance that similarly concerned vendors won't expect
that a specific UID/GID value will be available.

-- Julie.