Re: PROPOSAL for FHS revised : Mount points for CDs, floppies and a lien OS partitions.]

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 03:33:55PM -0400, Wade Hampton wrote:
> "Brian F. Kimball" wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 06:30:55PM +0000, Thomas Sippel - Dau wrote:
> >
> > > Begin Rationale
> > > These mountpoints are mentioned here because it was felt
> > > that software installations may require a well-known way to mount installation
> > > media.
> >
> > How does specifying the location of mount points provide a well-known
> > way for installers to mount the installation media?

> You know where the CD-ROM, DVD, and floppy are.

No you don't.  Using Sippel's proposal there are 10 different potential
locations of a floppy, 30 for CDs, and 10 for DVDs.  Every other
proposal has the same problem.  Installers still need to ask where the
media is.

And again, how does specifying mount point locations provide a way to
mount installation media, as the rationale indicates it does?

> For example, in windows how many times have you had D: be the
> CD-ROM by default, moved it to L: or such (e.g., added a ZIP),
> and then had other programs try to look for the CD on D: and not
> find it.  Yes, I know this is a Windows example, but as installation
> software becomes more automated and we have more newbies, this
> analogy would be equally valid in the UNIX/Linux world.

And standardizing mount points doesn't solve this problem, unless you're
also going to force users to only insert CDs in the drive that
corresponds to /misc/cd0.

> Keeping it simple and easy to find CD's, DVD's, floppies, ZIP's,
> etc., would make life easier.

That's what desktop icons in GNOME and KDE are for.

> Second example:  phone support.  Joe newbie can't find their CD-ROM....

See above.

--
                                      Brian F. Kimball <bfk@footbag.org>

Thinking you know something is a sure way to blind yourself.
		-- Frank Herbert, "Chapterhouse: Dune"