Re: PROPOSAL for FHS revised : Mount points for CDs, floppies and a lien OS partitions.]

It has been proposed that the mounts directory be off either "/" or
"/var".

I would personally prefer that the mounts directory be off "/" rather
than under "/var" for the reason that some configurations may have the
following arrangement:

/mounts/removable --> /dev/hdc0
/usr --> /mounts/removable/usr
/home ==> /mounts/removable/home
/var --> /removable/var
/opt --> /removable/opt

It is a kind of weird arrangement I know, but its fairly similar to the
arrangement I had at one point when I was using a removable hard drive
to work at uni and at home, swapping it between a K6 and a 486.

In an actual system I guess a more likely scenario is one where raid is
involved or maybe nfs mounts.

Also its more intuitive to look for a mounts directory under "/" than to
have to look under "/var".

However if anyone has any compelling arguments as to why it should be
under "/var" i'm more than happy to be educated on the point.

Cheers,
Daniel Bradley.