Re: Anyone working on the rc.d installer problem?

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> And then having the rc script contain as comments in the beginning of
> the file something like this:
>
> # BEGIN RCINSTALLINFO
> # runlevels = 2 3 4 5
> # start = after network
> # stop = after lpd
> # END RCINSTALLINFO

Red Hat does some of this for chkconfig already, and it would be nice to
preserve that.

> Anyway, these are just some initial first thoughts on the subject.  If
> someone else has already started working on this, perhaps this would be
> useful.  If not, do people agree this is a good first place to start?

We're also planning on reworking much of our initscript architecutre to
permit (optional) files which look like:

	binary=/usr/sbin/inetd
	pidfile=/var/lib/inetd.pid
	killmethod=TERM

or something similiar. Again, this would be an optional method of
putting together initscript configuration which would eliminate the
need for (possibly buggy) shell code at every step.

Erik

|       "For the next two hours, VH1 will be filled with foul-mouthed,        |
|          crossdressing Australians. Viewer discretion is advised."          |
|   Linux Application Development  --  http://www.redhat.com/~johnsonm/lad    |