Re: Anyone working on the rc.d installer problem?

   Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 16:20:01 -0500 (EST)
   From: Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com>

   > And then having the rc script contain as comments in the beginning of
   > the file something like this:
   >
   > # BEGIN RCINSTALLINFO
   > # runlevels = 2 3 4 5
   > # start = after network
   > # stop = after lpd
   > # END RCINSTALLINFO

   Red Hat does some of this for chkconfig already, and it would be nice to
   preserve that.

True, but the way it is done isn't particularly abstract.  It uses pure
numbers for everything, instead of abstract names of the location points
and the run levels.

   We're also planning on reworking much of our initscript architecutre to
   permit (optional) files which look like:

	   binary=/usr/sbin/inetd
	   pidfile=/var/lib/inetd.pid
	   killmethod=TERM

   or something similiar. Again, this would be an optional method of
   putting together initscript configuration which would eliminate the
   need for (possibly buggy) shell code at every step.

Well, if the shell script is like this, it has all of the advantages of
the approach you were describing while still being extensible if more
customization is necesary:

binary=/usr/sbin/inetd
pidfile=/var/lib/inetd.pid
killmethod=TERM