Re: CAPS file format (was Re: Gopher over TLS)

It was thus said that the Great Cameron Kaiser once stated:
> > > Since I'm largely responsible for CAPS files, there really isn't a spec
> > > anywhere, though I do document keys in the default CAPS file for Bucktooth.
> >
> >   Okay, I have a question about the CAPS file then.  Would this be a valid
> > CAPS file?
> >
> > CAPS
> > CapsVersion=1
> > ExpireCapsAfter=86400
> > PathDelimiter=
> > PathDelimeter=
> > PathIdentity=
> > PathParent=
> > PathParentDouble=FALSE
> > PathEscapeCharacter=
> > PathKeepPreDelimeter=TRUE
> > PathKeepPreDeiimiter=TRUE
> >
> >   It's not specified whether the the various Path* fields can be empty.
>
> You're right, it's not specified. However, the Floodgap Gopher Proxy (which
> is a CAPS-aware client and uses it for the breadcrumb menu) would interpret
> those as specified keys each with a value of "", which is probably not what
> you want. If you want them to be the default, then don't specify the key at
> all. Again, open to discussing this behaviour.

  What I'm looking for is clarification---what do you mean by "unspecified"?

	If it is not specified, the selector is treated as if it were opaque.

  I don't have path delimiters.  If I comment out PathDelimiter (or
PathDelimeter), do the other Path fields have meaning?  I don't have a
PathIdentity, a PathParent nor a PathEscapeCharacter.  For all intended
purposes, I have opaque selectors that aren't necessarily a filesystem path.
I *do* want (if I understand it correctly) PathKeepPreDelimiter to be TRUE.

  -spc (Yes, I have a wierd gopher server)