Re: Gopher over TLS

Hi all,

I typically lurk, but this is one of my hot buttons:
I don't want to beg the question, BUT:

Why are we encrypting data that is published publicly?

And if we're encrypting it for privacy why are we not worried
about the keys being directly tied to us thus removing all privacy?
And since SSL was broken decades ago and replaced with various versions and key sizes.
And since MITM attacks for SSL/TLS are well known, why bother using it at all?
Has everyone forgotten that a CA can spoof/validate any certificate that the 5 eyes wish?

And if we are going to encrypt for some yet unknown reason that I can't quite fathom,
Then,
Why don't we just use another port?  if it listens on 70 it's open.  If it listens on 743 (or whatever)
then it's encrypted like http and httpd (80/443)

I'm a big proponent of using the network layer and keeping encryption in it's own layer.

Steve
MtxDev