RE: What's the status of Mostognir?

Some quick answers. But for the first and most important – thanks for the considered reply.

https://wordpress.com/post/shipwrecksoftware.wordpress.com/204

I was embarrassed to learn that after making the new app, I hadn’t actually posted anything about it on my Shipwreck Software blog. (The shipwrecksoftware.wordpress.com blog is for apps, and the sunriseprogrammer.blogspot.com is for non-app technical stuff). I’ve fixed that this morning, and now I’ve got a description of the Simple Gopher Client up.

You should probably know now that I’m a Microsoft employee, although my apps are all hobby apps and aren’t related to my work. I work in the Windows division, splitting my time as a program manager for the Network Developer Experience team (that’s the team that is responsible for the WinRT network APIs like the socket APIs) and the VPN team.

Side link to the app: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao43IaqAVr-xhGq_WGSmF9vHwZke?e=5s5mqP

With a little luck, this side-link version of the app should work without you having to create a Microsoft Account.

For phoning home: Simple Gopher Client doesn’t phone home. My other apps only phone home when a user does something that only works by phoning home: for example, when someone gives me direct feedback, that goes to one of my servers. When that happens, my server naturally gets an IP address. I don’t log it, but since my server is hosted by someone else, I can’t make many guarantees about what the hoster does.

Simple Gopher Client does not have any ads. I only put ads into my high-usage programs (and even there, I didn’t put them into my calculator program or dictionary program because those are targeted at kids).

Microsoft accounts are an interesting problem. Personally, I find the convenience of having a Microsoft account to easily outweigh any other issue. I like having my stuff on OneDrive so that I never have to deal with the hassle of backups and remote access; I like having the store for apps because then there’s a certain uniformity to the install/uninstall experience. Apps from the store also have a bunch of restrictions that make them less likely to contain viruses and other nasties. Your own preferences, of course, are your own.

If it helps, I just went through the mandatory yearly privacy training.

Yes, Simple Gopher Client is available for all of the myriad of Mobile experiences as long by “mobile” you include only Windows phones 😊. I’m still using my Acer Jade phone – only about $100 from Amazon, and it comes with a nifty dock, keyboard and mouse that turns it into a full-screen experience.

Getting back to the technical stuff: OneNote doesn’t understand Gopher, but it does understand URLS. When it sees a URL, it will launch the appropriate program – so that a gopher:// link will launch a program that understands Gopher. The problem is that the port number is “known” to always be a number from 0..64K, and OneNote is trying to ensure that the URL is “reasonable” in some way.

Peter

Sent from Mail for Windows 10