Re: [gopher] Question

> On 14/02/2015 17:44, NN NN wrote:
>
>> does Gopher have any use nowadays?
>
> Depends what you are asking exactly. If you mean 'mainstream use', then
> no, gopher is a dead technology.
>
> If you mean 'any possible niche use', then sure - look around on the
> gopherspace, there are many of us doing stuff with gopher. ~150 gopher
> servers are running worldwide as of today.
>
>> What about HTTP, I think that the main advantage of HTTP is that due to it CSS, Javascript,Flash etc. appeared.
>
> These work just as well in Gopher. HTTP and Gopher are protocols, while
> html/css/javascript/flash are script or file formats (of course how many
> gopher clients support css/flash/etc is a totally different question).
>
> It's somewhat like saying "usb pendrives are good, because I can store
> my spreadsheet files on them" - you could just as well store them on a
> floppy or a CD. Same story with Gopher vs HTTP.
>
> Mateusz

Thank you for your answer, Mateusz. Maybe you are right about CSS,JS etc, but I don't see a client for Gopher which supports CSS in Gopher-sites. Probably I searched badly, but in Gopherspace moslty I found the information about Gopher itself and its advantages, so I didin't manage to find use for Gopher.