Re: [gopher] Question about using Gopher for P2P file transfer instead of HTTP

Hi,

Gopher is not decentralized. It is no different from http in this regard (beside having slightly less overhead and a nice native menuing system).

You won't be able to have anything faster and more reliable on a big scale than bittorent without heavy investing. A CDN is costly because it requires complex infrastructures, permanent monitoring staff and maintenance.

The only thing I see gopher could give you is to serve as a torrent hosting. ie you host torrent files on a small gopher server, organize them using gopher menus, and clients use your torrent meta files to start bittorrent downloads immediately, without having to worry about magnet initialization. Ideally, you'd need a public tracker, too (but you could just as well use some open trackers, there are several out there). Gopher would be nice here because it is good for small files (meta data), and would keep your stuff a bit "underground".

On the other hand, if you only need to provide a bunch of small files to the world, you might be just fine with a simple (and cheap) hosting, or host things yourself on a nanoPC in your basement (or attic, if it is not too hot there in the summer) :)
What kind of storage size are we talking about here? How many simulteanous clients? What kind of uplink bandwidth requirements?

Mateusz