Re: [gopher] Question about using Gopher for P2P file transfer instead of HTTP

Well, I'm trying to find a better approach than bittorrent OR
centralized file serving as part of a commercial cdn. i dont like
being forced to choose either extreme.

Since bittorrent magnet links can be very slow to initialize, and this
delay can have a meaningful impact on installation time, i dont want
to rely on bittorrent alone.

since gopher is very lightweight and efficient, but more comprehensive
than ftp or tftp, which i am trying to avoid, it sounded like a great
alternative to many weaker embedded http servers.

On 1/24/2014 12:31 PM, Kim Holviala wrote:
> Well... libcurl already handles the client-side, and there are
> several modern Gopher servers too (Wikipedia page has a nice
> list).
>
> But... Maybe I'm dumb, but I really didn't get the point? How
> exactly is a single resource-strained server faster than
> bittorrent?

I'm really glad you asked. I know little about how CDNs work
internally, only that they are very expensive and I can't afford them.
Akamai, Cloudflare, InterNAP and EdgeCast, the ones I looked at the
most, and Level3 as well, though I already knew they would be
exorbitant, all charge money I can't really afford, and it was not
easy to get estimated prices, since they don't list prices on their
websites, and you cannot get a quote without taking to a sales rep.

I made the mistake of calling sales representatives before, and since
I was not interested in buying hundreds of thousands of dollars of
equipment and services RIGHT THEN, was not the representative of a
multi-billion dollar organization, did not have my own AS number,
which are a lot easier to get than I feared, but still not easy, a
Network Operations Center, a fully authorized law firm and phone
numbers with Glados-like private branch exchanges, etc, etc, etc. They
were very rude at that point, and quickly got me off the phone.

In other words, I don't even have the right to research what the price
is likely to be, but through other resources I will not mention here,
because they almost certainly violate non-disclosure agreements or
other silly laws, I did get some estimates on what it would cost me,
and they are astronomical. The prices may as well be measured in
scientific notation.

I can't afford that, I'm nowhere near being able to afford that, and I
probably cant afford a CDN even if I was, in fact, a multi-billion
dollar corporation. It's ridiculous.

I'm trying to build a highly efficient CDN-alternative that does not
rely on bitcoin alone, so one can serve thousands of small files
individually while still retaining autonomy and decentralization.

I know about Coral CDN, and it is NOT suitable for my purpose.

And how exactly is having dozes of servers around the world cheaper
than a CDN? Just slightly interested because I actually do those
things for living...

> - Kim

If you do CDNs for a living, maybe you can tell me if I'm missing
something. It could be that CDNs are very reasonably priced, but I'm
not able to get a quote without a very rude sales rep hanging up on me.