Re: [gopher] Question about using Gopher for P2P file transfer instead of HTTP

> > On the protocol side, there really isn't one; a request is a
> > request. The server side might do something special to cache
> > resources, but that's a factor of the server software.
>
> Ah, I see. So something like that would be "implementation-specific."
> That answers most of my question.

For example, the Groundhog weather server on the backend does
automatic cache and transparent fetch of the weather resources it
manages (it expires from the cache and updates its data on the fly).
The client doesn't see any of this, and doesn't know what's cached or
not; it's all a function of the server.

> This is why I love gopher. The other biggest reason is gopher returns
> us back to the value of a gopherspace being the content, not
> presentation. I abhor flash, javascript, embedded java, all sorts of
> non-free and closed systems for everyday access of basic information.
>
> Gopher has built-in menu and search primitives, which makes most of
> the glitz of web/http superfluous.

One of the good things about it being so constrained is that everything
works the same way (indeed has to).

-- Xerox never comes up with anything original. -------------------------------