Re: [gopher] Updated Gopher RFC

On 2012-05-08, Christoph Lohmann wrote:

> On Tue, 08 May 2012 17:02:27 +0200 Alistair <alistair@alistairsserver.no-ip.org> wrote:
>
>> I just make binary things be b... you can determine what the file is by
>> automagical means anyway (or context in the case of completely
>> headerless blobs). If a client doesn't know what to do with something it
>> just downloads it, then the OS works out what to do with said
>> automagical type detection.
>
> Exactly.  There  is only a need for a menu type, informational, interac‐
> tive (search), binary, uri (h), telnet, error  and text. The rest  could
> be  kept  for compatibility, but for example to support the non‐GIF item
> type you have to implement heuristics anyway, which can be adopted   for
> every  binary file.

Maybe it's a good idea to have generic purpose-based item types, that
is, a way to say it's supposed to be viewed as an image, as a movie, a
document, a text file, etc.

This would not be exactly as precise as a type that says "Compuserve GIF
image" or "Portable Network Graphics", but at least tells the client
"Hey, this is going to be an image, if you can, render it yourself or
delegate it to your imageviewer".

--
Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg