Re: [gopher] Updated Gopher RFC

Greetings.

On Tue, 08 May 2012 17:02:27 +0200 Alistair <alistair@alistairsserver.no-ip.org> wrote:
> On 08/05/2012 14:43, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
> > Not if you were using gopher to also serve your style sheets. I'm not sure
> > how browsers would react to that.
> >
> > But, as I said, the use seemed rather arcane even at the time, and I don't
> > think it's actually being used in that fashion anyway.
> >

> I just make binary things be b... you can determine what the file is by
> automagical means anyway (or context in the case of completely
> headerless blobs). If a client doesn't know what to do with something it
> just downloads it, then the OS works out what to do with said
> automagical type detection.

Exactly.  There  is only a need for a menu type, informational, interac‐
tive (search), binary, uri (h), telnet, error  and text. The rest  could
be  kept  for compatibility, but for example to support the non‐GIF item
type you have to implement heuristics anyway, which can be adopted   for
every  binary file.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann