Re: Design Documents

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         I think I have come up with a suggestion for the user
>  interface. On the selection list pane, how about the following
>  columns:
> del keep inst   Package up/down/new  Version  Depends-On   Conflicts  Dependents

The peoblem is that there simply isn't enough room to do this for the
slang version.
This design has been done with all the potential UI's kept in mind, that
has meant
that certain columns have been omitted in favour of fewer columns and
IMHO a less
cluttered screen.  The conflicts and depends info is available from the
info tab.

>  The last two fields are not there currently.

We could, I suppose make these columns optional (but by default turned
off). The
problem being how wide would you make them?  The "Install as well:"
column is
already quite wide to accommodate multiple package names (on the same
line).
I fear that there simply isn't room to accommodate 2 more columns like
that
on the current design by default.

>         That way, a new package, if it conflicts with a package X, and
>  we want to install it, should mark X for removal.

I don't think I understand this.  You would show this all on the same
line?
Please explain.

>         For any package with dependents, if we mark it for removal
>  (user action or automatic), then the dependencies also get marked for
>  removal.

Yes.  This was the intent.  There would be some sort of warning when
doing
this.  At the very least, the packages that are being removed would be
listed
when the "Install phase" was entered, so the user can review all changes
before those changes are made.

Thanks,

Behan

--