Re: mesa-common-dev, libdrm-dev and Launchpad bug 490811

On Die, 2010-04-20 at 13:30 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:00:08 +0300, Ilkka Laukkanen wrote:
>
> > A while ago I noticed that it was possible to install packages in
> > Ubuntu (yes yes, bear with me) such that no packages are broken but
> > pkg-config fails, saying that libdrm is not found. As far as I can
> > tell, this is due to mesa-common-dev's dri.pc having the line
> > "Requires.private: libdrm >= x.y.z", but mesa-common-dev doesn't
> > depend on libdrm.pc.
> >
> > The reason I'm telling you is because this dependency has been added
> > in Ubuntu's mesa-common-dev, but the maintainer told me to ask Debian
> > about this as well... so, here I am :)
> >
> > In short, is this a valid bug? I can't come up with a reasonable
> > explanation other than that. Second, what do you think of the fix?
> >
> > The Launchpad bug (and patch) is at
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mesa/+bug/490811
> >
> dri.pc is only used by the X server, which already build-depends on
> libdrm-dev.  I don't think adding the depends in mesa-common-dev brings
> any value.  Why does it matter that pkg-config is unhappy with dri.pc if
> nothing uses dri.pc?

By that logic, no -dev package should depend on other -dev packages
providing the .pc/.h files referenced by its .pc/.h files, requiring its
users to build-depend on all of them instead. But the trend has been
away from that, as it resulted in huge and unmaintainable build
dependencies for higher level packages.

There's just no way around the fact that /usr/lib/pkgconfig/dri.pc
and /usr/include/GL/internal/dri_interface.h reference stuff from
libdrm-dev and aren't usable without it. If the dependency on libdrm-dev
isn't desirable for mesa-common-dev, these files should be moved into a
separate package.