Re: mesa-common-dev, libdrm-dev and Launchpad bug 490811

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:00:08 +0300, Ilkka Laukkanen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A while ago I noticed that it was possible to install packages in
> Ubuntu (yes yes, bear with me) such that no packages are broken but
> pkg-config fails, saying that libdrm is not found. As far as I can
> tell, this is due to mesa-common-dev's dri.pc having the line
> "Requires.private: libdrm >= x.y.z", but mesa-common-dev doesn't
> depend on libdrm.pc.
>
> The reason I'm telling you is because this dependency has been added
> in Ubuntu's mesa-common-dev, but the maintainer told me to ask Debian
> about this as well... so, here I am :)
>
> In short, is this a valid bug? I can't come up with a reasonable
> explanation other than that. Second, what do you think of the fix?
>
> The Launchpad bug (and patch) is at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mesa/+bug/490811

dri.pc is only used by the X server, which already build-depends on
libdrm-dev.  I don't think adding the depends in mesa-common-dev brings
any value.  Why does it matter that pkg-config is unhappy with dri.pc if
nothing uses dri.pc?

Cheers,
Julien