Re: Packaging nouveau

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 21:42 +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> OoO Pendant  le temps de midi du  mardi 13 mai 2008,  vers 12:20, Michel
> Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> disait:

> >> I  have  packaged   drm-snapshot  which  creates  libdrm2,  libdrm2-dev,
> >> libdrm2-dbg  and nouveau-kernel-source.
>
> > If you're going through the trouble of reviving DRM snapshot packages,
> > please don't make them nouveau specific. DRM snapshots are useful for
> > other drivers as well.
>
> Hi Michel!
>
> My attempt to  package drm-snapshot is nouveau specific  only for kernel
> part. In  fact, it  would be easy  to create  XXXX-drm-kernel-source for
> each available drm driver. Would it be worth the effort?

I'd just make it a single package for all drivers.

> Moreover, I think  that nouveau is just too difficult  for me to package
> now. It  seems that I wasn't able  to identify the correct  trees to use
> since  my libdrm is  not compatible  with nouveau  dri driver  (which is
> really odd). Is it still worth packaging drm snapshot?
>
> I don't feel really motivated  maintaining snapshot of DRM and not using
> it. :)

FWIW, it would be useful for

      * Drivers like mach64 or xgi which haven't been merged into the
        kernel yet.
      * Testing TTM/DRI2 functionality with intel drivers, though this
        will probably require at least rebuilding some of the other
        components, possibly from Git snapshots.
      * Generally testing DRM functionality not merged into the kernel
        yet (e.g. vblank-rework, support for newer ATI chips).

Also, building the Mesa Git master branch requires a libdrm snapshot.

> >> Maybe, I should rename binary package  to state that they should be used
> >> only  with   nouveau.   I  mean,   if  someone  installs   libdrm2  from
> >> experimental, it will break every  X video driver, except nouveau.
>
> > Why is that?
>
> Because ABI incompatibility is not versioned yet. The shipped library is
> still  named   "libdrm.2.3.0.so"  while   it  is  not   compatible  with
> it. Therefore, this should  break any xserver-xorg-video-*. This is pure
> assumption, though.

I don't think it should break anything we have packaged. The only
incompatibility I'm aware of is in the TTM related APIs, and I don't
think anything we have can use the version of those in 2.3.0 out of the
box anyway, and they're still in flux, so the soname probably won't
change at least until that settles down.