Packaging nouveau

Hi!

There is currently an ITP to package nouveau:

However, Matthew seems to not have  time yet to package nouveau. I would
like to help a bit.

nouveau  needs  an up-to-date  mesa  (7.3.0)  that  we already  have  in
Debian. It  also needs an up-to-date  libdrm (current git,  2.3.0 is not
ok) that we don't have in Debian. Moreover, from libdrm, we should build
"nouveau-kernel-source".  And at least,  there is  the driver  part that
should be built and it seems quite easy.

The  hard part is  libdrm. I  have tried  to work  from the  current git
repository on  alioth, but the  modifications done in  debian-* branches
look quite strange to me. If  I look at the diff between debian-unstable
and  upstream-unstable (or -experimental,  they are  almost in  sync), I
discover  that  some  directories  are  removed  (bsd-core,  linux-core,
scripts).  Current  git  of  libdrm  now  uses  symbolic  links  between
shared-core and linux-core.

Because  of  this  combination,  I  have difficulties  to  simply  merge
upstream-experimental   (updated   with   HEAD   from   upstream)   into
debian-experimental.    I    am   not   good   enough    with   git   to
succeed.  Moreover,  when a  file  has been  removed  and  has not  been
changed, it is  removed and I need the content of  linux-core to be able
to build nouveau-kernel-source package. Therefore, I am a bit stuck.

What  is the  proper way  to handle  this with  git? Would  it be  OK to
restore the full content of upstream into libdrm?

Thanks.
--
BOFH excuse #375:
Root name servers corrupted.