Re: [decision] new patch management system in xorg-x11

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:52:38PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> To clarify: I deliberately broke everything Build-Depending on
> xlibs-static-*.  The reasons are twofold: one, everything with PIC
> patches for the misguided xlibs-static-pic needed to be transitioned;
> two, it was good to get a clean cut, and I could engineer that within my
> particular situation anyway.
>
> While we've dug out most of the xlibs-static-* stuff now, I'm not sure I
> can entirely recommend it for sid just yet.

Thanks for the explanation. That's the goal of coordinating fixes for
packages while we're still in experimental. We don't have to catch
everything, but a mail to -devel-announce about it, with maybe a list of
the packages in Ubuntu that needed a fix would be good.

> The /usr/X11R6 -> /usr transition is definitely not sid-ready yet.  But
> we've had no problems with the parts I've already transitioned to the
> modular tree, excluding a couple of small catch-22s when building the
> thing[0].

I'll defer to you and Josh and whoever else is getting deep with xlibs on
this, but I really don't want to rock the boat on something like that until
we know it'll work.

> Josh and I are going back and forth on various issues, and our packages
> are rapidly converging.  I still need to find a weekend to spend some
> spare time on the server upstream before I can modularise that.

Awesome. That's great to hear.

> > I'm game. My first priority is definitely getting packages in to
> > experimental and coordinating all the library fixes for X client apps.
> > Since the latter can hopefully happen without much involvement from the
> > XSF, we can work on getting the next generation packages ready, be they the
> > modular or monolithic tree.
>
> Any library fixes in particular?

Sorry. I meant the client app fixes for the library changes discussed
above.

 - David Nusinow