Re: [decision] new patch management system in xorg-x11

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 06:20:58PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 03:13:16PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > As some of you may have noticed, I've dropped the build-dependency on
> > dbs[1] in the fledgling xorg-x11 SVN repository[2].
>
> ...but now it's coming back.
>
> My focus has been on DPL stuff and the sarge release for the past couple of
> months, but the general consensus (with David Nusinow's finger heavily on
> the scale since he's the only one besides me who's committing to the
> xorg-x11 SVN repo) appears to be:
>
> * Stick with dbs for now so that changing build systems doesn't slow the
>   progress of xorg-x11 into experimental;

Right. There's a step in here that's missing. I'd like to move this package
to unstable when I feel like the archive is basically ready for it. The
library changes apparently broke a lot of things for Ubuntu and the patches
are waiting on all the X client apps and just need to be applied. We may
want to coordinate this in some way with other teams and maintainers, since
the sooner we get the transition out of the way, the better. I'd rather not
move these packages or any other to unstable until we're sure it's not
going to break half the archive though.

> * Migrate to quilt and traditional .orig.tar.gz/.diff.gz afterwards.  This
>   includes having all patches applied to trunk/xc in SVN.  For the reasons
>   why this is good, see my previous message[2].

This sounds great to me. The modularization effort seems to be progressing,
but if we can move to quilt rapidly then we'll be all the better for it,
since that experience can be applied to the modular tree packaging when
it's ready.

> Since I'm the one who seems to care the most about this, I propose to do
> the build/patch system retooling on a branch after we've uploaded xorg-x11
> -0pre1v1 to experimental.
>
> Anyone wanna help?  :)

I'm game. My first priority is definitely getting packages in to
experimental and coordinating all the library fixes for X client apps.
Since the latter can hopefully happen without much involvement from the
XSF, we can work on getting the next generation packages ready, be they the
modular or monolithic tree.

 - David Nusinow