[decision] new patch management system in xorg-x11

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 03:13:16PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> As some of you may have noticed, I've dropped the build-dependency on
> dbs[1] in the fledgling xorg-x11 SVN repository[2].

...but now it's coming back.

My focus has been on DPL stuff and the sarge release for the past couple of
months, but the general consensus (with David Nusinow's finger heavily on
the scale since he's the only one besides me who's committing to the
xorg-x11 SVN repo) appears to be:

* Stick with dbs for now so that changing build systems doesn't slow the
  progress of xorg-x11 into experimental;

* Migrate to quilt and traditional .orig.tar.gz/.diff.gz afterwards.  This
  includes having all patches applied to trunk/xc in SVN.  For the reasons
  why this is good, see my previous message[2].

Denis made a very strong case for quilt, and no one appears to have been
willing to rebut it.  I had been leaning against quilt because it confused
the hell out of me when I first encountered it in a Debian package, but
Denis's tutorial[1] was quite helpful.

Since I'm the one who seems to care the most about this, I propose to do
the build/patch system retooling on a branch after we've uploaded xorg-x11
-0pre1v1 to experimental.

Anyone wanna help?  :)

[1] Message-ID: <20050325221228.GA3530@linuxfr.org>
[2] Message-ID: <20050320201316.GA32214@redwald.deadbeast.net>

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      Ignorantia judicis est calamitas