Re: [decision] new patch management system in xorg-x11

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 10:43:05PM -0400, David Nusinow wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 06:20:58PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > * Stick with dbs for now so that changing build systems doesn't slow the
> >   progress of xorg-x11 into experimental;
>
> Right. There's a step in here that's missing. I'd like to move this package
> to unstable when I feel like the archive is basically ready for it. The
> library changes apparently broke a lot of things for Ubuntu and the patches
> are waiting on all the X client apps and just need to be applied. We may
> want to coordinate this in some way with other teams and maintainers, since
> the sooner we get the transition out of the way, the better. I'd rather not
> move these packages or any other to unstable until we're sure it's not
> going to break half the archive though.

To clarify: I deliberately broke everything Build-Depending on
xlibs-static-*.  The reasons are twofold: one, everything with PIC
patches for the misguided xlibs-static-pic needed to be transitioned;
two, it was good to get a clean cut, and I could engineer that within my
particular situation anyway.

While we've dug out most of the xlibs-static-* stuff now, I'm not sure I
can entirely recommend it for sid just yet.

The /usr/X11R6 -> /usr transition is definitely not sid-ready yet.  But
we've had no problems with the parts I've already transitioned to the
modular tree, excluding a couple of small catch-22s when building the
thing[0].

> > * Migrate to quilt and traditional .orig.tar.gz/.diff.gz afterwards.  This
> >   includes having all patches applied to trunk/xc in SVN.  For the reasons
> >   why this is good, see my previous message[2].
>
> This sounds great to me. The modularization effort seems to be progressing,
> but if we can move to quilt rapidly then we'll be all the better for it,
> since that experience can be applied to the modular tree packaging when
> it's ready.

Josh and I are going back and forth on various issues, and our packages
are rapidly converging.  I still need to find a weekend to spend some
spare time on the server upstream before I can modularise that.

> > Since I'm the one who seems to care the most about this, I propose to do
> > the build/patch system retooling on a branch after we've uploaded xorg-x11
> > -0pre1v1 to experimental.
> >
> > Anyone wanna help?  :)
>
> I'm game. My first priority is definitely getting packages in to
> experimental and coordinating all the library fixes for X client apps.
> Since the latter can hopefully happen without much involvement from the
> XSF, we can work on getting the next generation packages ready, be they the
> modular or monolithic tree.

Any library fixes in particular?

Cheers,
Daniel

[0]: Move headers (let's say, x11proto-input-dev) into separate package.
     Remove same from xorg package, make it B-D on the above.
     Remove same from libxi-dev package, make it Depend on
     x11proto-input-dev.
     Make x11proto-input-dev conflict with libxi-dev, << the version of
     xorg you are about to upload.
     Note that in order to build xorg, you need to have
     x11proto-input-dev installed, and this conflicts with all versions
     of libxi-dev that are in the archive.
     Engineer a situation in which one of your other B-Ds depends on
     libxi-dev.
     PROFIT!!