Re: Input hotplugging et al (was: Re: X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r640 - trunk/debian)

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 01:42:32PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 11:07:05PM -0400, David Nusinow wrote:
> > I'd like to kill it one day, but not today. All the options out there are
> > pretty crap, so we only lose so much by keeping it around for now. Once I
> > get Debian caught up, I really want to start work on letting X
> > automagically choose the right things to do if the xorg.conf doesn't
> > override it.
> >
> > That's at least a few months down the road though, since I obviously
> > haven't even gotten to 7.0 yet. If I'm really lucky Jim Gettys will have
> > put out a more concrete design for the hotplugging rewrite deal by then
> > too, but I'm not counting on it. I want to chip away at the debconfage
> > stuff until there's nothing left, but I think we need something until that
> > time.
>
> Last I saw, Kristian Høgsberg had a prototype for it somewhere in
> Bugzilla that mostly worked.

Yeah, I've got it on my hard drive but never had a chance to try it (that
whole getting Xorg in Debian thing got in the way :-) I plan to take a more
serious look at it once we're really caught up and well positioned for the
future.

> Some of the Intel guys (Charles
> Johnston, I think it was? and Waldo Bastian, among others) are very
> interested in moving the input and display autodetection and display
> hotplugging forward, so hopefully that really gets moving at some
> stage.

I remember that discussion. I plan to go back and re-read it.
Unfortunately, no one but Jim seemed interested in actually putting
something together (I'm sure Waldo is insanely busy) so I'm kind of waiting
on him. If something materializes I plan to hop right on it. If not, I'll
start putting some code together and then bring it up on the upstream list
when I have something real for people to play with. We can talk about it
here first if you (or anyone else!) wants to work on it too.

 - David Nusinow