Re: X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r640 - trunk/debian

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 10:39:22PM -0400, David Nusinow wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 06:31:51PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > If this isn't done here, it needs to be done whereever autodetect_* is
> > checked (you need to pull back from Ubuntu, as I've made a whole ton of
> > changes that fix preseeding, and have dpkg-reconfigure ask you if you
> > want to autodetect stuff or whatever), otherwise you're going to get
> > wildly inconsistent results.
>
> I've spent a couple hours beating my head against this, and I can't figure
> out why this would need to be done. The codepaths seem to work as I expect
> them to, with it preserving the selections you choose. The only thing that
> I'm not certain that I want to keep is that when you choose to autodetect,
> it'll preserve the previous answer regardless of what's autodetected. I'm
> planning to change this behavior, but is there anything I'm missing?

Because if you have any non-default settings, they won't get
overwritten, so you end up with a config file that may not actually
work.  Also, stuff like use_sync_ranges won't get reset to no, and
that's all kinds of bad.

Personally, I'd vote for dragging the autodetect_* changes back and
resetting all the relevant questions on autodetect (e.g. reset all
the keyboard answers on autodetect_keyboard), only preserving
previous answers in the 'no' case.

To be honest, I don't see the Debconf interface as being valuable.  I
don't think it provides anything over xorg.conf for the average user,
since you're going to have to be googling it anyway, and ... yeah.  I
just don't see why it would be used at all.  The only thing we use it
for is sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg -> instant config
regeneration, with full redetection.