Input hotplugging et al (was: Re: X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r640 - trunk/debian)

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 11:07:05PM -0400, David Nusinow wrote:
> I'd like to kill it one day, but not today. All the options out there are
> pretty crap, so we only lose so much by keeping it around for now. Once I
> get Debian caught up, I really want to start work on letting X
> automagically choose the right things to do if the xorg.conf doesn't
> override it.
>
> That's at least a few months down the road though, since I obviously
> haven't even gotten to 7.0 yet. If I'm really lucky Jim Gettys will have
> put out a more concrete design for the hotplugging rewrite deal by then
> too, but I'm not counting on it. I want to chip away at the debconfage
> stuff until there's nothing left, but I think we need something until that
> time.

Last I saw, Kristian Høgsberg had a prototype for it somewhere in
Bugzilla that mostly worked.  Some of the Intel guys (Charles
Johnston, I think it was? and Waldo Bastian, among others) are very
interested in moving the input and display autodetection and display
hotplugging forward, so hopefully that really gets moving at some
stage.