Re: X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r640 - trunk/debian

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 12:56:06PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 10:39:22PM -0400, David Nusinow wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 06:31:51PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > If this isn't done here, it needs to be done whereever autodetect_* is
> > > checked (you need to pull back from Ubuntu, as I've made a whole ton of
> > > changes that fix preseeding, and have dpkg-reconfigure ask you if you
> > > want to autodetect stuff or whatever), otherwise you're going to get
> > > wildly inconsistent results.
> >
> > I've spent a couple hours beating my head against this, and I can't figure
> > out why this would need to be done. The codepaths seem to work as I expect
> > them to, with it preserving the selections you choose. The only thing that
> > I'm not certain that I want to keep is that when you choose to autodetect,
> > it'll preserve the previous answer regardless of what's autodetected. I'm
> > planning to change this behavior, but is there anything I'm missing?
>
> Because if you have any non-default settings, they won't get
> overwritten, so you end up with a config file that may not actually
> work.  Also, stuff like use_sync_ranges won't get reset to no, and
> that's all kinds of bad.
>
> Personally, I'd vote for dragging the autodetect_* changes back and
> resetting all the relevant questions on autodetect (e.g. reset all
> the keyboard answers on autodetect_keyboard), only preserving
> previous answers in the 'no' case.

Ok, I'll have a look tomorrow.

> To be honest, I don't see the Debconf interface as being valuable.  I
> don't think it provides anything over xorg.conf for the average user,
> since you're going to have to be googling it anyway, and ... yeah.  I
> just don't see why it would be used at all.  The only thing we use it
> for is sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg -> instant config
> regeneration, with full redetection.

I'd like to kill it one day, but not today. All the options out there are
pretty crap, so we only lose so much by keeping it around for now. Once I
get Debian caught up, I really want to start work on letting X
automagically choose the right things to do if the xorg.conf doesn't
override it.

That's at least a few months down the road though, since I obviously
haven't even gotten to 7.0 yet. If I'm really lucky Jim Gettys will have
put out a more concrete design for the hotplugging rewrite deal by then
too, but I'm not counting on it. I want to chip away at the debconfage
stuff until there's nothing left, but I think we need something until that
time.

 - David Nusinow