Re: dri_util.c:157: warning: pointer targets differ in signedness.

First let me say that if anyone would like to take over updating the
dri-trunk-sid packages on a semi-regular basis, I'd really appreciate
it.  I don't track the Debian X or DRI mailing lists closely enough to
keep up with changes.

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 15:00 -0800, Mike Mestnik wrote:
> The source I'm using contains the old DRI xc.  I can see where the old xc
> source is needed to build the OLD Xserver and Mesa is needed there to
> build it's dri, glx, and opengl Xdrivers.  How ever I can't see why this
> old xc code has not been diffed in to debian's Xfree86?  Would submitting
> a patch to TDBTS help?

I'm not a member of the Debian X team so I don't speak for them, but I
wouldn't expect that a patch of DRI's changes to XFree86 will be
accepted.  The reason I started updating Michel Daenzer's packages was
that I needed MergedFB support and wanted some of the fixes that were
being incorporated into DRI.  Requests for MergedFB in Debian's X
packages date back to June 2003.  I wouldn't imagine there will be any
major changes to Debian's X until Sarge releases.

> At this time Xorg is used for most of the DRI development.  It also seams
> that the dri, glx, and opengl Xdrivers can be built in the Mesa tree with
> libGL and the dri_ Xdrivers.  Since Mesa is now able to build against
> Xfree86 and Xorg this would seam to fix most of the problems.

This is news to me.  I thought the current recommended way of doing
things was to build an Xorg xserver, glx, and libgl, then build the 3D
drivers in Mesa.

http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/Building

Rather than updating the dri-trunk-sid packages to build Xorg it might
be easier to direct users to the experimental Xorg packages at

http://debian.linux-systeme.com/

With a new libGL in place, installing Mesa and drm CVS by hand isn't
that difficult and doesn't have to overwrite the packaged X server.  It
would be nice if driconf had a way of overriding LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH on a
per-user or global basis though.

> I got this after cvs updating the tar.gz of the unofficial debian
> source... This source is at least missing the DRI_NEW_INTERFACE_ONLY
> define "dri_util.c:1073", cause it uses the xc Makefiles to build Mesa.
>
> dri_util.c: In function `glx_find_dri_screen':
> dri_util.c:157: warning: pointer targets in passing arg 1 of
> `glXGetProcAddress' differ in signedness

I ran into the same problem, but this message convinced me there was
little point in trying to fix it.

http://www.mail-archive.com/dri-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg20719.html

John