Re: Howto build fdo driver for Debian XFree86?

On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 20:59 +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 12:42:37PM +0200, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 16:02 +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > >
> > > What I'm trying to do now is build the savage Xfree86 driver out of the
> > > freedesktop.org DRI CVS and install it, but when I start X, I get an error
> > > "module ABI minor version (7) is newer than the server's version (6)".
> > > Obviously the build is picking up too much FDO stuff and not enough Debian-X
> > > stuff.
> >
> > Actually, all you need to overcome this particular problem is to use the
> > server binary from DRI CVS as well.
>
> What I was trying to do was minimise the amount of new code I was
> introducing, as I'm not in a position to be able to debug problems in
> strange places in my X server (much as I'd like to be able to).

Well, you'd only be using a different server binary; problems tend to be
located in modules, most of which would be unchanged (although the
savage DRI support might require some other modules like dri, drm and
glx from CVS as well).

> Unfortunately, the best information I've gotten so far is that the Savage
> drivers don't support DRI for the Savage MX series.

That's not what I'm reading on http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-
bin/moin.cgi/S3Savage .

> I've also got something from somewhere else that said that all S3 chips
> don't support OpenGL, but I really can't work out how that gels with
> supporting 3D Direct Rendering under Linux in general.  I think that
> might have been a bit of misinformation.

It certainly seems wrong in this form.