Re: Howto build fdo driver for Debian XFree86?

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 12:42:37PM +0200, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 16:02 +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> >
> > What I'm trying to do now is build the savage Xfree86 driver out of the
> > freedesktop.org DRI CVS and install it, but when I start X, I get an error
> > "module ABI minor version (7) is newer than the server's version (6)".
> > Obviously the build is picking up too much FDO stuff and not enough Debian-X
> > stuff.
>
> Actually, all you need to overcome this particular problem is to use the
> server binary from DRI CVS as well.

What I was trying to do was minimise the amount of new code I was
introducing, as I'm not in a position to be able to debug problems in
strange places in my X server (much as I'd like to be able to).

> FYI, the DRI CVS xc tree is deprecated now, it's been folded into the
> X.Org tree (experimental DRI support for drivers like mach64, savage
> etc. still isn't built by default though but only if
> BuildDevelDRIDrivers is defined in the imake configuration).

OK, I guess I'll try that out at some stage.

Unfortunately, the best information I've gotten so far is that the Savage
drivers don't support DRI for the Savage MX series.  I've also got something
from somewhere else that said that all S3 chips don't support OpenGL, but I
really can't work out how that gels with supporting 3D Direct Rendering
under Linux in general.  I think that might have been a bit of
misinformation.

- Matt