Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 07:53:52PM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> > On Friday 18 June 2004 09.02, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> > > * Should we ensure that multiple implementations of the X Window
> > > System are packaged, or standardize on just one?
> >
> > from a user perspective, multiple X servers to chose from which are
> > almost but not exaclty the same is most confusing. AFAICT this is not
> > like having KDE and GNOME and .. in the archive because they are really
> > different, but this is more like the kernel having 3 different drivers
> > for NCR53c8xx SCSI chips, and how should the user know which to use and
> > why (difference in the scale, obviously)...
>
> Users can still have the freedom to choose. XSF will only support one, but
> other people are perfectly allowed to package other servers. Noone will
> ever stop them to do so.

I'm huge on the freedom to choose, but not so much on being *forced* to
choose. Users should have the freedom to install KDrive if they want
(IMHO this should be packaged), or whatever, but Xorg should come per
default - most people aren't qualified to make that choice, and shouldn't
have to.

--
Daniel Stone                                                <daniels@debian.org>
Debian: the universal operating system                     http://www.debian.org