Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 19.53, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
[packaging more than one X server]
> Users can still have the freedom to choose. XSF will only support one,
> but other people are perfectly allowed to package other servers. Noone
> will ever stop them to do so.

My point was exactly the oposite: users will probably not want to havte to
chose, unless the choices are really different.

Multiple X servers where one does 'A' a little better, but 'B' a little
worse, and another does 'A' worse but 'B' good, and 'C' does only work
really on the third X server which can't be reasonably used because of
'K', ... - in other words: if I need an export to explain to me how the
different choices differ, I don't think it's a benefit to the users.

So long - I think I've made my point.
-- vbi

[I'm not on debian-x, so you'll need to cc: me.]

--
featured product: SpamAssassin - http://spamassassin.org