Re: Future of X packages in Debian

IMHO,

@ 18/06/2004 04:03 : wrote Fabio Massimo Di Nitto :

>* What kinds of X packages would you like to see in the future?

I am not sure I understand this question. I, for one, would like to
see packaged both xorg and kdrive based servers.

>* Should we regard X.Org or FreeDesktop.Org as our upstream source?

FreeDesktop.Org would be my choice.

>* Should we go our own way starting from the "sanitized" XFree86
>CVS snapshot we've prepared?

The work of the XSF is excellent, and I really don't know how to
answer this without a thorough examination of the sources.

>* Should we ensure that multiple implementations of the X Window
>System are packaged, or standardize on just one?

I would vote _multiple_ _implementations_, but this IMHO would
discard the possibility of "starting from our sanitized XFree86", or
at least would demand more resources.

>* If we standardize on just one, which one should it be?

I think most other distros are opting for xorg (seems to be
compatible with the infamous nvidia/ati binary drivers)

>We will do our best to choose a course that reflects the wishes and
>needs of the Debian community.  Your feedback is a great first
>step, but we can always use more help.  If you'd like to influence
>the direction of Debian X packaging, the best thing to do is to
>join the maintenance team.  Please subscribe to debian-x, and if
>it's not obvious to you what you can do to help, just ask.
>
>Thanks Fabio

This is my feedback. HTH,

--
best regards, Massa