Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 13:57, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > > * What kinds of X packages would you like to see in the future?
> >
> > I'd like to see a packaging that gives me the ability to mix and match
> > pieces from any of the choices we have available. IOW, meta packages to
> > get the "full" compliment of each version, or me picking cheeries if I
> > want. Lotsa work... But hey, you said you wanted to know.
>
> eheh but i doubt the XSF will have manpower to handle more than one
> implementation. Other people can join and package other parts from other
> sources.

Yes, I long for a future so bright from X "gamma" I gotta wear shades.

> > > We will do our best to choose a course that reflects the wishes and needs
> > > of the Debian community.  Your feedback is a great first step, but we can
> > > always use more help.  If you'd like to influence the direction of Debian
> > > X packaging, the best thing to do is to join the maintenance team.
> > > Please subscribe to debian-x, and if it's not obvious to you what you can
> > > do to help, just ask.
> >
> > As I am not a programmer, I'll have to ask "What would I *get* to do?"
>
> There is really a lot that you can do. In the first place you might have
> hardware that we do not have. You can help us testing the packages and
> report bugs before we release. Even if it seems simple it is a great
> contribution to know that the work we are doing is actually tested more
> than by only Branden and me.

I have been doing that all along. I was using the 4.3.0 server from the
linuxppc.org server and then when that became problem (I understand why)
I started using Branden's archive location. This was all before
4.3.0-XXX went into experimental. I even have a coupla bugs to my
credit.

Have 8 Linux Systems at work running the business. One is a Mix of
RedHat --> Debian on its way to Straight Debian. The rest are all
Debian. I am, also, completely moving away from Microsoft products where
possible.

6 machines at home also running Debian Only. Slowest one == 1.2GHz Duron
\o/ !!!

BTW, All machines I maintain are on Sid/Experimental. I use my two
workstations as daily sacrifices to the dist-update GODS! Just to keep
them happy. They then tell me to wait on some things or to continue on
ahead. This seems to workout well.

Lately the GODS, have been pleased... which is good.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup