Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 10:34:09AM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
>
> > I'd also like to see the fonts moved to arch any, I got side tracked
> > attempting to switch from .pcf.gz to .ttf format, but there's no reason we
> > can't simply compile to .pcf.gz on i386 and ship them from there -- every
> > arch can load that format and the overhead is minimal (bitswapping on
> > big-endian boxes).  When upstream moves to .ttf, we will be ready.
>
> Point of Debian order here; what you (and I) want is arch "all" (build once
> for all arches), rather than "any" (built for any one arch).
>
> This has been a long-standing wishlist request, which was languished because
> (as I understand it), nobody wanted to futz with the imake build system
> enough to make it possible, and I can't blame anyone for that.  If the X.Org
> build system makes this possible, then that's great.

I have been working on this issue already. It is possible to build fonts
as arch "all" with a small hack, but it still requires a bit of magic for
a few Imake that gives life to man pages for scripts that are font
related [0][1]. It is also in the TODO list for one of the next X uploads
[2].

Fabio

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2004/04/msg01058.html
[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2004/04/msg01060.html
[2] http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/trunk/debian/TODO

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.