Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 10:34:09AM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

> I'd also like to see the fonts moved to arch any, I got side tracked
> attempting to switch from .pcf.gz to .ttf format, but there's no reason we
> can't simply compile to .pcf.gz on i386 and ship them from there -- every
> arch can load that format and the overhead is minimal (bitswapping on
> big-endian boxes).  When upstream moves to .ttf, we will be ready.

Point of Debian order here; what you (and I) want is arch "all" (build once
for all arches), rather than "any" (built for any one arch).

This has been a long-standing wishlist request, which was languished because
(as I understand it), nobody wanted to futz with the imake build system
enough to make it possible, and I can't blame anyone for that.  If the X.Org
build system makes this possible, then that's great.

--
 - mdz