Re: purpose of MANIFEST files (was: XSF revision 238)

>> On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 11:35:36AM +0900, ISHIKAWA Mutsumi wrote:
>> >  3) Purpose of MANIFESTs (I believe) are checking what kind of files
>> >     will be installed under debian/tmp, and  *.install files or
>> >     something updates are needed.
>> >
>> >       I think it is not good idea to edit MANIFESTs directly if their
>> >     changes are not completely clear. I've committed(and I'll commit)
>> >     only after my build checking are done (or someone checked to build
>> >     and send MANIFEST to XSF).

>> This subject merits a separate subthread.
>>
>> I originally came up with the MANIFEST thing as a means of doing what
>> you described, and also as a simplistic method of forcing the build to
>> fail if something didn't get built.
>>
>> These days, which dh_install's --list-missing flag, MANIFESTs may have
>> outlived their usefulness, and it may suffice to have a list of files we
>> deliberately don't want to ship.

 MANIFEST check is simple and certain way, but I felt MANIFESTs must
be updated in all the architectures was also one factor which has
delayed the release, I think it was good to have known
--list-missing option (I did not know about this option until a while
ago.)

 I'll research waht kinds of change will be needed to use
--list-missing and to drop MANIFEST check mechanism.

--
ISHIKAWA Mutsumi
 <ishikawa@linux.or.jp>, <ishikawa@debian.org>, <ishikawa@netvillage.co.jp>