Re: XSF revision 238

>> rev 238:  ishikawa | 2003-06-22 13:31:01 -0500 (Sun, 22 Jun 2003) | 8 lines
>> Changed paths:
>>    M /branches/4.3.0/sid/debian/MANIFEST.alpha
>>    M /branches/4.3.0/sid/debian/MANIFEST.hurd-i386
>>    M /branches/4.3.0/sid/debian/MANIFEST.i386
>>    M /branches/4.3.0/sid/debian/MANIFEST.ia64
>>    M /branches/4.3.0/sid/debian/MANIFEST.powerpc
>>    M /branches/4.3.0/sid/debian/MANIFEST.s390
>>    M /branches/4.3.0/sid/debian/MANIFEST.sparc

>> update MANIFESTs (add usr/X11R6/include/GL/glu.h)
>>
>> usr/X11R6/include/GL/glu.h will be installed even if libGLU does not build.
>>
>> glu.h is included in xc/include/GL. Imakefile in xc/include/GL/ does
>> not refer BuildGLULibrary YES or NO.

>> IMO it's stupid to ship glu.h if we're not going to ship the rest of the
>> library.  (Why can't XFree86 Build-Depend on libglu1-mesa-dev?)

  This is only MANIFESTs change, so this change does not
directly mean we ships glu.h. I only revert glu.h line in
MANIFESTs (it cause build problem).

  MANIFESTs of svn 237 committed by Daniel are different from
real world, so I reflect them to real of them.

  I do not know why glu.h line deleted from MANIFESTs by him.
It can not be removed because we can not disable to install
glu.h. It will be installed with BuildGlxExt or
BuildGLXLibrary are YES.

>> I object to killing off the X-forked GLU package at this point for that reason
>> and others.

  I think there are three points of issue related it.

 1) We will ship libGLU or not?

    Perhaps, YES.
    I agree your point,  currenlty We can not disable libGLU
    cleanly (described one more problem on 2).

 2) Build without BuildGLULibrary is not easy.

    Even if we decide libGLU will not ship, we need some more changes
    to solve problems

    After my roughly review, another problem is found,
    glxinfo will be built disabling GLU support without
    libGLULibrary. So, current branches/4.3.0/sid/debian/ settings
    does break glxinfo compatibility between previous release.

 3) Purpose of MANIFESTs (I believe) are checking what kind of files
    will be installed under debian/tmp, and  *.install files or
    something updates are needed.

      I think it is not good idea to edit MANIFESTs directly if their
    changes are not completely clear. I've committed(and I'll commit)
    only after my build checking are done (or someone checked to build
    and send MANIFEST to XSF).

--
ISHIKAWA Mutsumi
 <ishikawa@netvillage.co.jp>, <ishikawa@linux.or.jp>, <ishikawa@debian.org>