Re: 4.3.0-0pre1v1 [XSF, please read]

On Sun, 2003-06-22 at 04:15, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 04:13:58AM +0200, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> > >
> > > Err, why would we have xlibmesa-gl1 and libglu1-mesa? That's woefully
> > > inconsistent - I thought the whole point of this was consistency, no?
> >
> > apt-cache showsrc libglu1-mesa
> >
> > xlibmesa-glu is libglu1-mesa in disguise.
>
> Oh, so you're proposing to stop building GLU, because we already have
> Mesa/s GLU?

Bingo.

> Why isn't Mesa 5's libGL built as well?

*sigh* How many times will we have to walk this through yet?

The libGLs provided by Mesa and XFree86 aren't the same. In particular,
the former can't use direct rendering, while the latter can't use plain
X11 rendering.

The libGLUs OTOH are both taken from the SGI sample implementation. _If_
there are any significant changes to libGLU, they will much more likely
appear in Mesa first. Maintaining xlibmesa-glu as well is a waste of
effort.