XFree86 X server and FreeType

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 11:22:00PM +0900, ISHIKAWA Mutsumi wrote:
>  There are two purposes in this change.
>
>  1) FreeType2 incompatible problem between freetype 2.1.4-2 and
>    2.1.4-3, you described above. It is solved by freetype2_2.1.4-4
>    package.
>
>  2) We would like to use same FreeType2 code between Normal Loader X
>    Server (included in xserver-xfree86 package) and Static build
>    Debug X server (included in xserver-xfree86-dbg.
>     Static build X server can build with external shared FreeType2
>    library, but curretly we can not build X loader server with
>    external FreeType2 shared library(X loader server's freetype font
>    backend module uses `source code level inclusion' scheme of
>    FreeType2).
>     FreeType2 code included in xfree86 source tree and libfreetype6's
>    one are not same (diffrent version and too difficult to sync..),
>    so if debug X server linked with external FreeType2 and normal
>    loader server does not, we can not debug X server internal
>    FreeType2 related thigs.
>
>  Yes, 1) problem is gone. But 2) problem is remaing.

Okay, just to make sure I understand the situation:

1) we want to be sure that the normal X server package
   (xserver-xfree86) and the debugging X server package
   (xserver-xfree86-dbg) use the same FreeType library.
2) we'd *like* it if we could achieve this by both packages dynamically
   linking against the system's FreeType library; however,
3) The normal X server package (xserver-xfree86) *cannot* be built
   dynamically linked against the FreeType library because of upstream
   code/design issues;
4) Therefore, we encapsulate XFree86's internal "fork" of the FreeType
   library into *both* xserver-xfree86 and xserver-xfree86-dbg.

Have I got that correct?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     There's nothing an agnostic can't
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     do if he doesn't know whether he