Re: Future direction of Debian XFree86 packaging (was: 4.3.0 progress / desire to help)

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 12:04:22AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 08:41:11AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 09:21:14AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > I sort of have an aversion to merging patches I haven't tested, unless I
> > > can't test them, and they're from reputable sources.
> >
> > It's up to you, but seriously, how much testing does a patch that build
> > a tarball from a bunch of files really need ? Also, if you prefer, i can
> > give you indications and you do the implementation. Easier to me, since
> > i don't currently have the 4Go or so needed to build X.
>
> I don't want to merge something that turns out to be a complete useless
> lemon.

It will not, because i can then build a driver only package directly out
of the X CVS trunk drivers module without needing a full X build and 4
Go of disk space i don't have. This would make it easier for our user to
upgrade their driver for new cards without needing a fully new X server
package which may or may not come in acceptable time. I had the
intention of uploading and maintaining such a debian package, but
without the SDK it requires the full source tree.

Also, my intention is to ensure that the upstream cvs tree can always be
built with this 4.3.0 SDK, at least upto the time of the 4.4.0 release.

So, no, it would not be useless, i would even have such a package
already if there was SDK already, and i was only waiting for the 4.3.0-1
release, which i had the impression from our last exchange, was going to
happen any time now.

> Plus, as I said, I don't have the time to implement this.

Nor i, but i plan to take the time for it.

> > Anyway, here goes the indication :
> >
> > You build as usual, then you do a make install.sdk, and add the whole of
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/Server to the tarball or simply move the
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/Server directory to the xfree86-driver-sdk package.
> >
> > The only problem you might have, is that released 4.3.0 doesn't build
> > the sdk cleanly, since the driver writers didn't care to update the SDK
> > related stuff in the Imakefiles, but i have already solved this and
> > commited a fix to the trunk cvs tree. It is not yet in the 4.3.0 bugfix
> > branch though, which i think i will have to remedy, and there is still
> > some problem with the i830 which needs parts of dri/glx to build.
>
> If you want to backport the fixes to xf-4.3-branch, I'll look at it
> then.

Yes, do you want me to commit it to the 4.3.0 bugfix branch, or would
you also accept a plain patch for now ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther