Re: Future direction of Debian XFree86 packaging (was: 4.3.0 progress / desire to help)

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 09:21:14AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 05:13:03PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 10:31:17PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > Looking like it, given I barely have enough time to even merge the
> > > people/{branden,daniel} trees in Subversion.
> >
> > Err, the idea was of me sending you a patch implementing it.
>
> I sort of have an aversion to merging patches I haven't tested, unless I
> can't test them, and they're from reputable sources.

It's up to you, but seriously, how much testing does a patch that build
a tarball from a bunch of files really need ? Also, if you prefer, i can
give you indications and you do the implementation. Easier to me, since
i don't currently have the 4Go or so needed to build X.

Anyway, here goes the indication :

You build as usual, then you do a make install.sdk, and add the whole of
/usr/X11R6/lib/Server to the tarball or simply move the
/usr/X11R6/lib/Server directory to the xfree86-driver-sdk package.

The only problem you might have, is that released 4.3.0 doesn't build
the sdk cleanly, since the driver writers didn't care to update the SDK
related stuff in the Imakefiles, but i have already solved this and
commited a fix to the trunk cvs tree. It is not yet in the 4.3.0 bugfix
branch though, which i think i will have to remedy, and there is still
some problem with the i830 which needs parts of dri/glx to build.

> > > Fair enough, doesn't sound too bad an idea. I'll investigate exactly how
> > > everything works first before giving a final answer, though, so don't
> > > take this as gospel.
> >
> > Ok, i will try generating the patch this weekend.
>
> Thanks.

Friendly,

Sven Luther