Re: Future direction of Debian XFree86 packaging (was: 4.3.0 progress / desire to help)

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 08:41:11AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 09:21:14AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > I sort of have an aversion to merging patches I haven't tested, unless I
> > can't test them, and they're from reputable sources.
>
> It's up to you, but seriously, how much testing does a patch that build
> a tarball from a bunch of files really need ? Also, if you prefer, i can
> give you indications and you do the implementation. Easier to me, since
> i don't currently have the 4Go or so needed to build X.

I don't want to merge something that turns out to be a complete useless
lemon.

Plus, as I said, I don't have the time to implement this.

> Anyway, here goes the indication :
>
> You build as usual, then you do a make install.sdk, and add the whole of
> /usr/X11R6/lib/Server to the tarball or simply move the
> /usr/X11R6/lib/Server directory to the xfree86-driver-sdk package.
>
> The only problem you might have, is that released 4.3.0 doesn't build
> the sdk cleanly, since the driver writers didn't care to update the SDK
> related stuff in the Imakefiles, but i have already solved this and
> commited a fix to the trunk cvs tree. It is not yet in the 4.3.0 bugfix
> branch though, which i think i will have to remedy, and there is still
> some problem with the i830 which needs parts of dri/glx to build.

If you want to backport the fixes to xf-4.3-branch, I'll look at it
then.

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel@raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone@kde.org>
KDE: Konquering a desktop near you - http://www.kde.org