Re: xlibmesa naming and relationships

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 11:24:43AM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:

 > OK, so why don't you give me a hand instead of being obtuse for the
 > hell of it. Why was the 3 there, originally?

 Heh.

 The Mesa packages used to provide a library called libMesaGL.so.3.  At
 some point Brian (Paul) realized this was a bad idea (probably right
 after noticing that ISVs screwed up in the most creative ways because
 of this) and began pashing that filename out.  At some point
 libMesaGL.so.3 was just a link to libGL.so.1 and sometime later even
 that link dissapeared.  All this happened during a time when we weren't
 so anal retentive regarding shared library (file)names and there
 weren't people arround playing soname police (without actually
 understanding what they are doing).  That is, the change went in
 silently and developers just recompiled the packages that needed
 recompiling.

 Most people don't even remember the time as Mesa didn't even claim
 OpenGL look-alikeness...

--
Marcelo