Re: xlibmesa naming and relationships

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 12:31:36AM +0100, Marcelo E. Magallon scrawled:
> On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 10:26:05AM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > I'm not having packages with a misleading name. I'm keeping up status
> > quo until I see a good reason to change current (and expected)
> > behaviour. So far you haven't provided one.
>
> Neither have you.

Which is why the status quo shall remain.

> As per policy, that number should reflect the interface the package
> implements.  The fact that "3" was picked up by Branden is just an
> historical accident.  My guess is Branden just followed what was back
> then current practice, i.e., the Mesa packges (which I now maintain).
> Why the Mesa packages carry a 3 is also historical baggage and most
> people seem to be unaware why that 3 is there in the first place.

Yes, and it's been carried through.

> Hint, James *did* follow the policy when he first created the Mesa
> packages.

And Policy has changed, and we should probably reflect that, sure.

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne