Re: xlibmesa naming and relationships

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 03:05:59PM +0100, Marcelo E. Magallon scrawled:
>  Don't look at me.  The "3" in the mesa packages makes me puke.  It's
>  old historical baggage (you probably know why it's there in the first
>  place -- but don't ask me why the xlibmesa packages have that ugly 3 or
>  4 or whatever in them).  As you are well aware of, changing a package's
>  name in Debian is next to impossilbe.  Provides isn't enough because
>  versioned provides don't exist, and that's because everytime the topic
>  is discussed, people amuse themselves with corner cases.  The reasoning
>  is that if a feature exists and it can be used in technically wrong
>  ways, it *will* *be* used in those ways.  And I better stop here before
>  I start ranting about Debian's organization at large.

The 3 in 4.2.1's xlibmesa packages, and hence the 4 in my 4.2.99.x
xlibmesa packages, reflects the major version of Mesa used.

I hope this message gets through, because I CANNOT SEND MAIL TO THE
LISTS, AND IT IS REALLY STARTING TO IRK ME. master swallows it and it
disappears.

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne