Re: X locks also my machine

Mensaje citado por: norman werner <Norman.Werner@Student.Uni-Magdeburg.DE>:

> Hello,
>
> during starting X (xdm, startx,X,...)
> the screen turns black. and the machine don't accepts any commands.
> no alt+f1 no cntrl+alt+delete no nothing.
>
> i'm "using" a fresh debian-woody-stable install (2.4 kernel) on a dell
> latitude
> cpi d266xt laptop with neomagic video (is/should be supported by both
> shipped
> version -XFree 3 and XFree 4.). no other operation system, no crazy
> extra-
> devices.
>
> only bla bla follows

As thorsten sugested these lines added to the video-card-section of the
XF86Config file are crucial for getting the neomagic  chip to work under X:

   Option          "XaaNoScanlineImageWriteRect"
   Option          "XaaNoScanlineCPUToScreenColorExpandFill"

With Xserver v3 these lines are not necessary (nor possible) and
XFree86-SVGA works just fine.
(My problem with v3 was due to extrem stupidity related to the mouse/touchpad)

have a nice (mon)day

norman

--
norman werner