Re: X locks also my machine

> Hello,
>
> during starting X (xdm, startx,X,...)
> the screen turns black. and the machine don't accepts any commands.
> no alt+f1 no cntrl+alt+delete no nothing.
>
> i'm "using" a fresh debian-woody-stable install (2.4 kernel) on a dell latitude
> cpi d266xt laptop with neomagic video (is/should be supported by both shipped
> version -XFree 3 and XFree 4.). no other operation system, no crazy extra-
> devices.

It looks like you need to configure the monitor explicitly. The Debian install
does ask if you are on a laptop, followed by what kind of monitor you are
running. How did you answer those questions, and how specific was the offered
selections of monitor types given by Debian?

> I redirected output to a file but there were no interesting error-messages.

This won't happen (not even to stderr) as I found also. The logs are under
/var/log/XF86whatever ...

> the
> problem exists with both XFree version but with Xfree 3 i get 6 white pixels
> (yes i counted them). the font-manager is up and running, i did'nt fiddled
> around neither with permissions nor with kernel (only adding some modules during
> the installation-process). It's pretty much a standard setup. so either i am
> totally stupid or it should affect other users as well.

But in case you have a non-standard monitor, then "standard" may not be the
right way to go ...? just a thought.

> any clue?
> thanks
>
> norman
>
> PS.
> deselect sucks

I agree. I have "brokenly" installed packages on my installation on apps which
work fine, which dselect attempts to uninstall. AARRRGH!!