Re: Problem with Debian

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 10:16:32PM +0100, Eduard Bloch scrawled:
> * Daniel Stone [Mon, Jan 20 2003, 07:42:02AM]:
>
> > > They do not ship with an old piece of shit as X (Version 4.1, not
> > > supporting any modern video card) while our X maintainer prefered to do
> > > so.
> >
> > I didn't see *YOU* volunteering to fix PCI domains on SPARC, or even
> > doing any packaging at all, let alone hacking. I suggest you refrain
> > from such preppy, pithy, moronic snipes in future before you do your
> > homework, unless you truly believe that i386 is the most important
>
> It is.

So we should do things that advantage i386 users, but severely break
users of other architectures?

Have a look at www.debian.org: i386 is now officially a "port". The only
distinctive feature is that it was the first port.

> > architecture in Debian and that nothing else matters. If you support X
> > refusing to work at all on SPARC in a release, speak up! Otherwise (and
> > this is the most preferable option), shut up.
>
> If you cannot provide XFree for a certain architecture, but an ancient
> version, find a way to detach the development trees. For boot-floppies,
> we choose the kernel version that works best for certain architecture.

That's because the kernel is relatively small. The kernel image debs
come out to a few meg at most. X comes out to a couple of hundred meg.
My apple is better than your orange!

> For most people, X is as important as the kernel, so I fail to see how I
> you can really think that a KEEP-ALL-VERSIONS-EQUAL dogma is better
> for our users than working productive environment.

Yes, but X is far too big to carry on with all this crap. Branden has a
hard enough slog maintaining just maintaining one version, let alone
two. I don't think there are many people out there who can produce
packages like X to the same quality as Branden, and know X well enough.
None of them would volunteer to actually do it, I'm sure.

> Oh, I see you calling me a damn moron again, but it's easier than
> accepting the truth.  Synchronisation problems inside of Debian will
> became worse, the number of supported hardware will grow too, so you
> won't be able to keep your eyes closed.

I'm not trying to keep my eyes closed; au contrare, it seems that you
are the one valiantly attempting to do so.

Maybe you should come down here to Australia some time. The reason I'm
mirror-whoring for my XFree86 4.3 debs at the moment is because we're
charged $93/gb for international traffic, and that's *cheap*, because
we're a college at a uni. If we weren't a uni, it would be a hell of a
lot more for a decent connection.

The reality is this:
a) it's a pain in the arse for absolutely *NO* gain;
b) it's stupid, and will kill mirrors (try thinking outside of
   Europe/America sometime);
c) it's very short-sighted, and only demonstrates that you haven't
   actually thought about it;
d) i386 is just another port.

Before you go mentioning the kernel again, and how X is just as
important to core operations as the kernel, you probably should take a
look at their relative sizes. X: huge, kernel: not quite that big. Maybe
you also want to have a look at the XFree86 debian/patches directory.
Massive.

Daniel, someone who knows what it's like to package XFree86

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne